Green Matters is the City of Fredericton’s public education campaign program focused on sustainable lifestyles in our community. This includes reducing greenhouse gases, acting on climate change and developing renewable energy.
City initiatives supporting sustainability efforts include active transportation, composting, recycling, transit, trails, trees, and water & sewer. Partner information and key environmental efforts supported by Green Matters can be found under “Helpful Links”.
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) - Milestone 5 Award - Fredericton recognized for its corporate and community greenhouse gas emission reduction programs.
- International Awards for Liveable Communities - Gold Awards in the Socio-Economic category for Green Shops/Green Matters initiatives
- World Health Organization - Fredericton ranked 8th in the world for air quality
The City started paying attention to environmental matters in the 1990’s, starting with its purchasing and other operational decisions. Many efforts have been carried out since then.
- In 2000, the City joined Partners for Climate Protection (PCP) – a network of Canadian municipal governments committed to reducing greenhouse gases (GHG) and to acting on climate change.
- In June 2007, the City of Fredericton launched Green Matters. This greenhouse gas reduction campaign was presented as a community-wide initiative to educate, engage and motivate Fredericton residents, businesses and organizations to reduce their own emissions.
- Working under the Green Matters umbrella, the Green Shops program targeting the business community was launched in October 2008. And then in June 2011, Green Matters Certified was launched in an effort to target the non-commercial sector.
- In June 2016, the City entered into a partnership with MCW Custom Energy Solutions Ltd. to build a renewable energy strategy for the municipality.
Stay tuned for the next phase of our sustainability efforts here at the City of Fredericton. In the meantime, take advantage of the many educational links provided.