Fredericton June 27, 2011) – Homes once owned by the manager of the Chestnut Canoe Company, a prominent city doctor and two former Fredericton mayors, as well as a drinking fountain for “man and beast” are the latest additions to the City’s Local Historic Places Register.
City Council agreed with the recommendation of the Preservation Review Board to include homes at 132 Waterloo Row, 171 Church Street, 189 Smythe Street, 837-839 Charlotte Street and the Temple Fountain at 703 Queen Street in the Register.
132 Waterloo Row
William E. Minue designed this two-and-half-storey dwelling for Chestnut Canoe Company Manager, Harry Chestnut, in 1902. Albert H. Saunderson built this house, situated on the east side of Waterloo Row between Shore and Lansdowne streets. The Chestnut family members were leaders in the Fredericton business community throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. In 1836 Robert Chestnut, proprietor of R. Chestnut & Sons, established a hardware store and by 1907 the family began canvas canoes.
The house was designed by William E. Minue for Harry G. Chestnut, Robert’s grandson and manager of the Chestnut Canoe Company. Mr. Minue also designed commercial buildings, and factories, including the Hartt Boot & Shoe Factory. The home features two-storey columns, with mini-columned capitals, a decorative wooden finial at apex of the hip roof, decorative dormer windows and regularly spaced, rectangular windows.
171 Church Street
This two-and-a-half-storey, Beaux Arts style home, situated on the west side of Church Street between Brunswick and George Streets, was constructed in 1906 for Dr. William Caldwell Crocket by Charles Moffitt using design plans created by G. Ernest Fairweather. Mr. Fairweather also designed the UNB Engineering Building and the UNB Gymnasium. Dr. Crocket was the first Principal of the Provincial Normal School, later becoming the Chief Superintendent of Education
His son, William Caldwell Crocket jr., was educated at the University of New Brunswick and McGill University, where he received a medical degree. Dr. Crocket was elected Mayor of Fredericton in 1901, serving two successful terms. He was a member of the Legislative Assembly, representing York County from 1917 until 1920. The Crocket family occupied this house until the early 1940s. It was rented by the Provincial Government in 1944 for us as office space for newly established ministries. The home features ionic columns, a gabled pediment, a curved second floor veranda, dormer windows and a central front door with sidelights and topped with a fanlight.
189 Smythe Street
This extensive two-and-a-half-storey, wood-frame dwelling was built by entrepreneur and businessman Jesse W. Tabor in 1904. Mr. Tabor established a grist mill on Westmorland Street, using the steam power provided by the neighbouring tannery to operate the mill. Later entering into a partnership with George O’Neill, he operated a sash and door factory, known as Tabor and O’Neill, which installed all the doors and sashes in the newly constructed Hartt Boot and Shoe Factory. Situated on the west side of Smythe Street, south of Brunswick Street, the house was sold to automobile dealer Richard L. Phillips in 1911.
Mr. Phillips, who served as Mayor of Fredericton from 1924 until 1925, was related to acclaimed city Police Officer Paul Phillips. Serving for nearly three decades on the Police Force, Paul Phillips captured Fredericton’s most notorious criminals of the late 19th Century. Paul Phillips was most famous for having served in the American Navy during the Civil War under the assumed name, Duncan Dunbar. The home has an extensive footprint, including incorporation of barn into its main structure. It features a medium pitched gable roof, oriented towards the street, a front gable Palladian window and an open front veranda.
837-839 Charlotte Street
Fredericton Mayor, George E. Fenety, commissioned architect J. C. Dumaresq to design this double tenement in 1883. Mr. Dumaresq, an architect from Halifax, helped rebuild the City of Saint John after the Great Fire in 1877.He also left a considerable architectural imprint on this city as well, designing the Charlotte Street School (1885) and the York Street School (1893). The wood-frame home, built by
Robert McElvaney, is situated on the north side of Charlotte between Church St. and University Avenue.
Mayor Fenety, who was a great benefactor to the City of Fredericton during and after his terms as mayor, was the driving force behind the installation of the City Hall clock in 1878 and the Phoenix Square Fountain in 1885. He also made valuable contributions to the built landscape with the construction of six double tenements located on Charlotte and George streets. Only two of the original six duplexes remain standing, and this dwelling is not only a reminder of Fenety’s generosity but represents an important phase of late 19th Century Fredericton housing development. The home features variety of roof lines, a side tower, large, rectangular windows and a double front entrance.
703 Queen Street - Temple Fountain
Senator Thomas Temple presented this granite drinking fountain for “man and beast” as a gift to the City of Fredericton in 1899. The edifice, topped with a bronze lion, is located on the north side of Queen Street and stands between the Crowne Plaza and the Beaverbrook Art Gallery. In his last public act, Senator Temple turned on the water for this drinking fountain in August 1899. The Senator died soon after the unveiling of his gift to the city, and this fountain stands as a monument to his benevolence.
The design of the fountain was inspired by one which stood in the square of the City of Toronto. Tayte, Meating & Co. of St. George, New Brunswick manufactured the fountain, using Spoon Island granite. John Oldham, of Oldham Bros. in Southampton, New Brunswick, and local stone mason, William Rossborough prepared the stone and concrete foundation for the granite fountain.
Council approved the establishment of the Local Historic Places Register on July 21, 2003. The Local Historic Places Register is a list of places (buildings, archaeological sites, and areas or spaces) deemed to be of local historical significance and placed on a list with the permission of the property owner. The Local Historic Places Register was established as a result of a Federal Government Program called the “Historic Places Initiative” and designed to raise awareness of historic places and encourage conservation. For more information of the Local Historic Places Register visit www.fredericton.ca
Media Contact: Juan Estepa, Manager of Heritage & Cultural Affairs, City of Fredericton 506-460-2062.