Sewer Utility

The City of Fredericton’s Water & Sewer Utility treats more than 21 million litres of wastewater from homes and businesses each day.

The wastewater is directed through 400 km of underground sewer pipes and lift stations to the  Barker’s Street Treatment Facility and Garden Creek lagoon.

Once at the treatment facility, the wastewater goes through screening, grit removal, primary clarification, activated sludge biological treatment, secondary clarification, and ultraviolet (UV) disinfection.

The Barker’s Street Treatment Facility treats 95% of the wastewater and also generates approximately 5,000 tonnes of biosolids / year, which are then composted and re-used in manufactured topsoil. The remaining 5% of wastewater is treated at the lagoon.

Treated, clean and safe water is then returned to the Saint John River.

Both facilities meet Environment Canada and the NB Department of Environment effluent treatment standards. 

Water & Sewer Utility Long Term Financial Plan