Fredericton / News / Police news

Man arrested after day-long standoff

A 28-year old male has been taken into custody following a day-long standoff with police at a Southside residence.

At approximately 7:40 a.m. on Thursday, October 22, 2020, members of the Fredericton Police Patrol Division attended a residence on Gregg Court regarding a report of a person with a firearm.

Soon after arriving on scene, police confirmed that there was an adult male inside a two-unit residence in possession of a firearm. Upward of 60 additional resources were deployed, including the Emergency Response Team, Tactical Medical Services, Major Crime, Crisis Negotiators, Drone operators and Mental Health and Victim Witness, as well as Fredericton Police and RCMP K-9.

The immediate area was in lockdown for most of the day, including universities and schools, and there was consistent communication with the school districts to ensure the safety of students and staff at all times.

Chief Roger Brown offered his thanks for the patience and cooperation of City residents during the multi-hour operation. “I appreciate the cooperation of Frederictonians today – particularly those living in and around the affected area, as well as students, staff and families of the affected schools. It was a very long day for everyone, and I am grateful for a successful resolve. We know only too well that situations like this could end very differently.”

Fredericton Police Crisis Negotiators were able to maintain communication with the barricaded individual for several hours, and at approximately 3:30 p.m., the male exited the residence and was taken into police custody without incident.

During a safety sweep of the residence, police located two long guns, a bulletproof vest and knives.

Ambulance New Brunswick (ANB) were also on scene to provide assistance if required. Saint John Police and RCMP J Division resources were also on standby and ready to help. Thanks also to the provincial Department of Public Safety for their assistance throughout the day.

The matter remains under investigation and charges are pending.